One of the hardest things for a startup is choosing where to spend your time and money. There are no clear answers without experimentation, and the process is often messy and confusing for users of your product. We want to do a better job being transparent about what we’re working on and why we make certain things a priority, while others are lower on the to-do list. We believe listening to user feedback is one of the best ways to gauge how we’re doing, so this blog (which is a direct request from users) is also an experiment. If it provides clarity and enables constructive feedback about how to make Wheelwell better, then we’ll happy update this weekly.
We’ll maintain two lists here. One of upcoming features that are in the works, and a list of significant bugs and incomplete features that we’re aware of. This is by no means a complete list (we do a lot more in a day that’s just not sexy enough to talk about) but we’ll try and hit the highlights. Hopefully the bug list lets you know you’re not alone in having an issue and that we have it on our radar to fix, while the new feature list will give you insight into the direction of the platform.
Items with a
strikethrough have been released/fixed and are in general order of priority. Think we missed something? Comment below!
- All-new Newsfeed that shows content based on your interests and people you follow
- Will display similar vehicles and products based on what’s in your garage
- Filters to sort by latest, most popular post
- An “interests” menu to adjust what types of content you want to see in your Newsfeed
- A new WYSIWYG post composer for making new wall posts about your vehicles, parts, and other activities
You’ll be able to make a new post specifically about one of your vehicles and it will show up on your vehicle page so you’ll always have a history of your projects, think of it like a dedicate blog for each of your vehicles[2/17/17]
- Your new posts will also show up in your Follower’s Newsfeed and for people who don’t follow you, but have similar interests (a similar vehicle model or category, i.e. “American muscle”, etc.)
- When you add a new part to your vehicle, we want that part to be in our autocomplete system so it’s faster for you to enter. We go straight to manufacturers to get their latest product lists so we can include photos and accurate fitment information. Here are the most recently added product catalogs:
- A redesign of the Garage:
The Wall will return so you can track all your activity posts for all your vehicles[3/13/17] View your followers[3/13/17]
- Photo albums will return
A new feature to “follow” any vehicle build you see on the site. Think of this like a bookmarking builds you’re interested in for quick access, and that person’s build updates will appear in your Newsfeed Add links to your personal social media channels[3/13/17]
- Notification Menu – we’ll improve the way it looks and the way it works. We’ll group together the same types of notifications that you receive over a short period of time so they don’t come one at a time. We’ll also make sure they’re easy to read and you can clear them quickly.
- Workflow enhancements to make navigating the Rides and Shop pages easier
- iPhone App
- Vehicle ID result page updates including more information about the vehicle and tappable links to similar vehicles already in the Wheelwell community
- Easier part entry
- In the notification menu, linking up posts and comments so you can go directly to the conversation
- Top Mods page improvements. This will be ongoing as we continue to refine the best way to identify the best products used by the most experienced modders so you can make fast, confident buying decisions
- An Android app – we get lots of requests for this and I’d love to say that it’s coming soon but that would be a dirty lie. The truth is that building native apps is super expensive (in both time and dollars) and heavily impacts our ability to support existing platforms. We’re currently supporting desktop web, mobile responsive, and iOS — it’s a lot for a team of just a few people. Once we have solid performance and understanding of exactly what features people use the most on these platforms, Android will get the green light.
Short vanity URLs[1/25/17]
- The notification menu works a little different depending on where you are on the site, but will be unified and refined in the near future
More control over which notifications you receive, updated controls on your Account page[2/02/17]
- Vanity URLS don’t update if you change your name on your Account page. Vanity URLS were recently released and having them update after a name change will be possible in the future.
- Club pages have been discontinued. They weren’t used enough and weren’t worth maintaining. Team Wheelwell group communication moved to a Facebook group for this reason
- Forums are on hold. They weren’t super active and may be used in other ways in the future, but for now they are not actively supported
Bug: can’t add new vehicles in the garage
Have thoughts on a feature or a know of a bug that’s bothering you? Shoot a note to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll get right back to you.
Head of Product