1 of 13
1 of 13
Well i'd guess not too many folks will bother reading this, but here goes... A friend of mine purchased one of these, and tired of the unreliable car i had at the time, I followed suit. The car i purchased was a Cosmic Grey version of the same model, this had cruise control, VSA, and had a drive by wire throttle body assembly. In fact the systems and parts in the VSA model are more akin to a CL9 TSX/Accord than to Civic models such as the EP3. I started to get serious about the idea of getting more out of the car and delved deep into research. Not many people knew much about this particular variant and the issue of affordable aftermarket engine management that could work with the DBW and VSA was a stumbling block. I have since seen a Civic Type S with KPro installed, but the owner never went into detail about how it was done. In hindsight perhaps a TSX ECU and FlashPro might have been a solution, but i found another option. The earlier (pre-facelift) models of the car had no VSA and used a cable throttle body, however they look even less pretty than the facelifted versions. While looking for parts one day, i discovered that the earliest builds of the facelift cars used the parts from the previous incarnation (i.e) no VSA or DBW. These "inbetweener" variants are not particularly common, but i found one for sale and after a little soul searching, bought it and sold the trusty grey Type S. There were a couple of trade offs in getting a car with the older running gear, no cruise control, 262mm brakes instead of 282mm and 4x100 PCD hubs. Mostly surmountable problems and worth it to have an easier route for mappable engine management. Before getting serious about power mods, it seemed prudent to look into improving looks and handling by getting some suspension mods organised. Originally i was looking at springs and shocks, but Meister R had a sweet 0% APR finance deal going, so i snapped up some EP3 coilovers as the EV1 Civic has pretty much the same parts underneath, just spread over a 106" wheelbase. Having got the parts the idea was to get a local shop to fit them, but on receiving no reply when i contacted them, the decision was made to buy some tools and go for a DIY install. This proved to be fraught with challenges, as the old parts had seen over a decade of salty UK winters and were reluctant to budge! Having overcome stuff like stubborn bolts, hand sawing through a solid strut base and a goosed top mount trying to fire a strut assembly out of the car, it was fantastic to feel the difference of the changes made, despite the challenges encountered along the way. More mods followed, and most recently the installation of caster plates has transformed the car yet again. Despite the wheel setup, most people don't notice the car is modified which makes it good for trolling people who don't expect it to be as sure footed as it is! Plans are afoot for swapping the K20A3 for a K24 coupled with a closer ratio transmission, bolt on mods and KPro, but still saving up for that... Unfortunate news folks! Christmas eve 2017 and disaster struck! The last delivery of the evenings bounty of gifts resulted in one of our local potholes snapping a ball joint and the car coming to rest hard against a curb. The car was duly recovered and has lain wounded outside our place of residence until now. Pretty sure the chassis legs of the monocoque frame are warped and thus it may be the end of this part of the saga. Saying that, have been rolling in a CL9 Accord (TSX in the US) since early last year and have been loving it. Crazy plans are being hatched...
See whose at the top of the Wheelwell Civic Leaderboard