SPECS
Horsepower
180 HP
Torque
160 LB-FT
Curb Weight
2600 LB
Drivetrain
Front Wheel Drive
Engine Size
2.5 L
Transmission Type
6 Speed Manual
MPG (City/Highway)
24/30 MPG
VEHICLE STORY

My adopted Son bought this car in May of 2016. Shortly there after He and I replaced the timing chain and all should have been right from there. A month passed by and He came to me complaining that it was running funny and making weird noises. Well it turns out that the coolant system had been ran low, So he had literally drove the car while it was overheating for approximately 10 miles. Needless to say he had damaged the engine. The motor had developed a nasty rod knock. We attempted to fix the issue by replacing the connecting rod bearings and while it worked it was very temporary. Of course the rod knock returned. At this point I gave him his options. Replace the engine or rebuild it. Either way it was going to take a lot of time and money. He eventually decided to just get another car and cut his loses. So the car sat. October 2016 came around and the car was still sitting in the driveway taking up space. I finally gave him and offer to take the car off his hands in exchange for a good portion he owed to me for various other things to include repairs to his previous car the had seized the engine in..... So it began.... when I was 12 I had watched my Dad rebuild a Chevy 3.8 V6 so had some idea of what it was going to take to fix the car. After pulling the motor and tearing it down completely and spending a few hundred dollars in tools. I determined that the crank shaft was completely out of spec and could not be saved. So I went to the local pullnpay and picked a long block for a mere $270 including core. Pretty good deal... Anyway after watching a lot of YouTube videos ordering parts then a few months of blood sweat and tears the engine had been rebuilt. I did use a performance upper gasket kit but other than that it was just regular crank and rod bearings, run of the mill rings, and mish mashed rods from the original and pullnpay engines. With the exception of having a local machine shop mill and hot tank the heads I did everything else by myself. Hone the cylinders, lap the valve seats and put it all back togather. While I had the engine out I took the opportunity to change out the fly wheel an clutch with an XTD stage 3 system also I simply did not install the balance shaft timing chain essentially deleting it. I would have liked to get a JWT BSR kit I didn't have the time to wait for it a was unsure of wether I would really like not having the balance shaft hooked up. I can honestly say now I'm not sure why it is even on the car. I have not noticed a difference other than it sure seems to be a lot more responsive at higher RPMs. Anyway that's is where it's at now all put back together and really a blast to drive.

Discuss this build

See whose at the top of the Wheelwell Sentra Leaderboard