SPECS
Horsepower
350 HP
Torque
350 LB-FT
Curb Weight
3200 LB
Drivetrain
F/R
Engine Size
5.8 L
Transmission Type
4MT
Top Speed
120 MPH
MPG (City/Highway)
6 MPG
  • Installed Parts (0)
    • Wish List (0)
      • Uninstalled Parts (0)
        VEHICLE STORY

        In 2008, for my birthday, my father purchased this car as a "fixer-upper" for us to work on together. Little did we know what we were getting into. With no front end, a motor hat hasn't been tested, and an ugly cream interior, we dove in head first. For a while, progress was great: we started with pulling the interior apart piece by piece, in order to refurbish all the good and get rid of the bad. With the interior apart, we could access the firewall and the mess of wiring behind the old cracked dash. Once the interior wiring was sorted, we went into the engine harnesses to get the motor running, which took no time at all. Unfortunately, there was a slight knock, but it ran fine otherwise. This is where things went a little south. The guy my father bought the car from said that the car was topped off on all its fluids. We assumed he included the tranny and rear end. He didn't. The first time we went to put the car in drive (luckily on jack stands) the transmission worked well for about 2 minutes, then it made the worst noise you could possibly imagine: the dry transmission ruined the second and third gears. I had lost hope at this point, because the knock from the motor and the now-ruined transmission had to be removed. My young self didn't understand and I was just mad, so we put it on hold for about 4 months.  We got back to it and pulled the motor and transmission. By this time, my father had sourced another four speed for the car, so it only seemed natural to start working on it again. We seperated the motor from the tranny, tore the motor down to a short block, saved all the pieces that were still good, and sent the block off to the machine shop to get cleaned, honed, and bored .030 over.. We got the motor back and then sent the new rotating assembly off to a shop in Utah called Snow Performance who balanced the rotating assembly. We put the motor together, reattached the transmission, and reinstalled them into the car. This was a happy day indeed! We filled the motor, tranny, and rear end with their respective fluids and drove it on our street for the first time, with no front end on the car no less. A brake check revealed to us that there was air in the lines, as the pedal went right to the floor, so we addressed the brakes next. Then the wheel bearings. Then we installed the interior, did all the body work, and painted it in our shop. I missing a lot here, but overall, we probably touched every single nut and bolt on the car and now, nearly seven years later, we have completed about 95% of the car.  It currently resides at my parents house in Northern California. 

        Discuss this build

        See whose at the top of the Wheelwell Corvette Leaderboard