Meet the top modders >

MATT HEELEY'S1993 Mazda RX-7Turbo 2dr Coupe

Online Now
MATT HEELEY'S

1993 Mazda RX-7

Turbo 2dr Coupe

1148

MOD SCORE
18 LIKES
11FOLLOWERS1729VIEWS

Specs
HorsepowerTBA HP
TorqueTBA LB-FT
Curb Weight2789 LB
DrivetrainRear Wheel Drive
Engine Size1.3 L
Transmission TypeManual
MPG (City/Highway)horrifying MPG

Matt Heeley's 1993 Mazda RX-7 Turbo 2dr Coupe
The Story

I believe it was summer of 2007 that the car arrived from the U.S. with a blown engine. I had purchased a running car, so this was a bit of a shock to me. It was an eBay auction car that had not sold and i contacted the seller after the fact. I had a forum member local to the car go check it out and test drive it, and he told me all was good. When it arrived, I went for a first drive, and it promptly puked coolant all over the driveway. I had BSC Motorsports rebuild the motor, put in a PowerFC, and tune it. Money was definitely an object, so it was done as a stock rebuild, with no porting, and we kept the stock turbos and all the emissions stuff. It had some power adders and we ran the turbos to the ragged edge. It was never dyno’d but given a fresh engine, it was fun. It got lots of autoslalom time, and lapping days at Mosport. Fast-forward a few years after the rebuild - it was lots of fun, but the stock turbos were done. I had been running them way over their designed boost for far too long, and they packed it in. Kid #1 had just been born, so I had a choice to make. Family comes first, so the car got parked. Then a plan started forming in my twisted car-brain. Single-turbo Conversion & V-Mount! I stripped the car of just about everything I was going to replace, including a nice & rare stock-mount intercooler & airbox, a Mishimoto race rad, and my quite capable suspension setup, and sold the parts to fund part of the project. I started stockpiling. The car sat for quite a while as I gathered parts together. I started to really get serious about the build about 3 years ago, and yanked the engine and transmission. I started to strip off all of the stock hardware until i had a nice clean 'keg' to work with. Block off plates and deletion of all the crazy vacuum lines was the first step. The stock engine harness was pretty crispy after all these years of rotary heat, so I hung it up on the wall, and called a friend who I knew had a Rywire harness that he wasn't going to use on his build. Problem solved. New counterweight, flywheel, and clutch went on, along with the new turbo manifold, and a mock-up of the turbo and wastegate. Originally i had planned to use an HKS Racing wastegate, but fitment and parts availability was rough, so I went with a Synapse 50mm. I had to get a custom adapter made from the HKS 4 bolt flange to a v-band, but a trip to a local machine shop, and I had a nice billet piece that I wouldn't have to worry about cracking. Various parts went on, and I stabbed the engine and transmission into the car 2 years ago, but I ran into problems. I also had a downpipe to make, and some TiG skills to gain, so things slowed down while i practiced my welding. After lots of mistakes and ugly welds, Downpipe 1.0 was finished. Maybe one of these days i'll redo it, but it works fine and doesn't leak so it'd just be aesthetic. I found myself trying to find unique solutions to my problems. I didn't like how the power steering cooling loops were going to hang down under the car, so I redid the lines, and put in a finned aluminum transmission cooler. It looks way better, and I don't think overheating the P/S pump will be a problem. I used my new TiG skills to put together my own V-Mount setup, after the one I purchased turned out to be in rougher shape than I thought. I also damaged the core of the rad by accident, so I had to come up with another solution. I fabbed up my own intercooler piping from various AL bends, and did a pie-cut bend in one spot because i didn't have a bend to put in there. It doesn't look totally terrible, but i'll have to clean it up, or remake that section of pipe, because i'm not totally satisfied with how it sits. As it is now, it's about 90% done. I still have to install the boost control solenoid, and tune it on the dyno. I have to finish my gauges, install the stereo, and do some maintenance on the interior. I also have a resonator to put into the exhaust somewhere, because this thing is stupid loud. Fun, but loud. There's other fab projects on the horizon as well. I'm making my own aluminum under tray, and i'm going to try my hand at louvres. I still have some ducting to put in to the nose to close off the rad and intercooler, but right now, it's hard to imagine it's necessary. The v-mount works almost too good, and it's tough to get the car to get really warm on a cool day. All in all, i'm really happy with it, and i'm stunned that I managed to do it all, and it didn't blow up the first time i turned the key! Turned out pretty good for a high-school music teacher ;)

Comments (0)